Thursday, July 7, 2011

Montana 2011

I've taken this trip every year since I was Connor's age (actually I was a little younger!).  It's just been a part of my summer my whole life.  We'd drive for two days, stopping at gas stations for potty breaks and a little treat, and my sister and I kept busy for the entire ride with a little whining here and there I"m sure.  I never fully appreciated the beautiful scenery or the time spent with family until I've had my own.
I have to back up just a little and tell you that the reason we drove two days through Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Montana was to see my grandmother, who was one of the very few full time residents of Silver Gate.  She loved it there, winters and all, and I was always amazed by her knowledge of her surroundings.  She lived there with her various kitties throughout the years, and we have many stories of her and the wildlife-my favorite being the time she sprayed a bear that was peering through her picture window with a can of Lysol.  She wasn't the typical "grandma" type, but I wouldn't have had it any other way.  She loved us, and we knew it-she didn't have to be down the street for us to know that.  She always sent us cards on birthdays or special holidays with a $5.00 check (which we always looked forward to!), with a little hand written note inside about what was happening there with the weather and the animals.  Most of the time, we'd have to have Mom read it to us, because Jennie and I had a hard time reading her handwriting.  I miss those cards, and I miss talking to her over the phone and hearing her voice.  The wonderful Mountain Woman that we all loved so much unexpectedly passed away five and half years ago, just before Ryan and I got married.  And so, we still make the trip every year in memory of her-maybe to feel just a little bit closer to her...after all, it was because of her that all of us Wolfe's are such a tight-knit family. 
Now, my Unlce Tom and his wife, Cheryl, have moved into her home and are loving it just as much as she did.  They have a store with Cheryl's sister, Toni, and are making things happen in my favorite little town.  Last year, I took Connor with me while Ryan stayed home.  The pictures from last year remind me of the pictures I have with my mom when I was little.  He began to really crawl and pull himself up last year, so I was anxious to see what new things he would learn this year!
Ryan, Connor and I loaded up and left at 4:00 am on a Saturday morning for the big trip.  We met Carrie, Jennie and Robert and off we went!  Connor did amazing in the car the entire trip.  We made sure we were prepared with music, dvd's, snacks, toys and books, but he was content most of the trip watching out the windows and napping here and there.  We definitely have a great little traveler on our hands!  We did stop quite a bit so I could stretch, refill my water, and change Connor's diaper.  Even with a detour, we made it to Silver Gate in one piece without going too crazy! 
The week was spent with my incredible family members.  We mostly hung out at the store so we could all be together and catch up on each other's lives.  Thanks to facebook, we are able to connect throughout the year in short status updates and pictures, but the face to face stories about our life events and retelling past stories are always the things I love most about being there.  Everyone took turns making dinners, which are always so good (maybe it's because I didn't have to cook?)-alfredo, Schwan's pizza, brisket, chicken and rice, and my ALL TIME FAVORITE, chicken and dumplings (I seriously had 4 small helpings!).  Then we would all sit around the fire laughing until our stomach's hurt and we couldn't keep our eyes open...or until we got sick of eating s'mores.
During the days, we made sure to take Connor in his new Kelty backpack (LOVE this product!) on hikes down the Banock trail to the waterfall, up to the homestead, up to Trout Lake, around all of our favorite spots.  It sure made him a happier kiddo to be up that high with Daddy and be able to see everything for himself.  I was happy to keep up with everyone on the hikes and not feel too winded going up and down the hills.  It's amazing how much better I feel physically with this pregnancy!  Ryan and Connor took naps just about every day there, and Connor adjusted easily to the new routine of being in a new place-he's so easily adaptable! 






The week went by too quickly!  We stayed an extra day (and missed the worst heat of the summer so far here in Phoenix), but could have stayed an extra week.  The weather was so beautiful, and spending time with my family always seems to go by far too fast.  Aunt Pat always says that you never know what a year will bring, so we have to cherish the time we do get to spend with each other!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe it's been almost a month since this vacation. I can't wait to be home in November! I love you!

    ReplyDelete